The hardest job I've ever had.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

I have changed some things since these pictures were taken, but I wanted to give y'all a quick glimpse as to how the room is looking!


It all makes sense now. The seating charts, the structure, the method to the madness. Teaching. Teaching is the hardest job I've ever had and today is the first day of school.

Last week I was up at my classroom from (at least) 7am to 7pm and I left wanting to stay and get more done! Me, Sarah Tucker, wanting to work more? Yes!

When I was in public accounting I remember the first day of work being exciting, but throughout the day I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh. Am I seriously going to waste my life away doing this??" I would go home at the end of the day thanking the Lord the day was over. I would have nothing exciting to tell Chris and would wake up day after day trying to put a happy face on and be thankful I had a job.

Accounting was hard, but at the same time, I wasn't interested in it, so I never let it be so hard that it bothered me. For instance, softball. I LOVE softball and growing up I would work my butt off to play in college, which was a dream come true. I wanted it, so I worked hard at it. Accounting, not so much.

There are paperclips attached on the laminated scrapbook paper so I can display the kids work!
Now, teaching...that is like softball. I am working my butt off learning the curriculum, the method to the madness, and all the things that come along with being the best teacher I can be. And at the end of the day I don't want to stop. Time flies by when you are doing something you love. Just like softball. I wanted to get out on the field, go to practice, and throw the ball with my Dad any chance I got. It was my passion.

Now, the hardest job I've ever had, teaching, is my passion.

When the kids showed up the other night for 'Meet the Teacher', it all made sense. The path I was on, God's path, all made sense. Seeing my babies for the first time was like stepping into the pitcher's circle for a game. It was a rush, the pressure was on, but the end was so rewarding. Their faces lit up at the sight of the classroom decorations, their enthusiasm for the school year so genuine, and the smiles that melted my heart. 

This has changed. I attached the ball/glove to a clothes pin. They just transfer their pin from one folder to the other.
I have finally found my calling in the workforce. I was born to be an educator, and anyone who ever says teaching is easy, ha, you have no idea. It is the most challenging, yet rewarding thing I have ever done...and it is only day one.

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. ADORABLE themed room! Good luck. :) It might be hard but it is one heck of a rewarding job.

    XOXO
    Fal @ FalFindsHappiness.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so exciting and i am so excited for you! i cannot wait to hear more about your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember crying through most of my first year. not that you will! But its such an important job that i know i always pressured myself to do perfectly. It was also one of the best years of life. Your kids are going to adore you. and they make all the hard work and nights of grading papers and hours of preparing worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your room is so cute and this is just so exciting!! I can't wait to hear how your first day went!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness...amaze-a-balls (for the sports balls of course). Great job lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your room! Good luck today!!! You'll do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeeee!!! Mrs. Tucker!! Love the classroom look! So adorable! And I know exactly what you mean about career paths...when you get that different feeling on WANTING to worker harder...then you know it's the right one. So happy and excited for you friend. Can't wait to hear all about your first official day as a teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Good luck in everything this year, teaching will be so fulfilling for you! EEk, I'm so happy for you and this life changing moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Mrs. Tucker, your classroom is adorable! I like how you kept a common theme running through the room- I bet even the girliest of girly girls and least sports-loving of boys will learn to appreciate sports metaphors because of you!

    I'm so happy for you that you have found your passion- teaching really is an incredibly fulfilling job! I taught summer school and I was so amazed by the growth, both intellectually and personally in each and every one of my kids at the end. I can't wait to hear a full rundown on your first day/week!

    xo, Hima
    Hima Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, so, so happy that you are loving this! We all work so much harder when we are inspired! Congrats on an amazing life switch-up! It looks like it will have been the right decision! :)

    -Kate
    www.theflorkens.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!! Got get 'em Tiger Tucker!! I cannot wait to read more stories from this year! Your room looks GREAT and the kids are going to LOVE you!! God is good and He has placed you right where you need to be!! HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy that you have found your calling! We desperately need more Sara's out there for sure. Your classroom looks so nice, I'm sure the kids must feel right at home there. Hope your weeks is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cutest classroom. You know I love the baseball theme :) So happy for you, Mrs. Tucker! :)

    ReplyDelete