My YEAR of NO shopping: Update

Thursday, August 8, 2013







Read about my resolution and the reasoning behind it {here}.

Weddings, weddings, weddings. I feel like that is the only reason I have been dressing up lately. 
To be honest, it is flipping hotter than you know what. Every outfit is planned on disguising sweat marks, and every hair style is based around an up-do. Even the dogs can't take the heat.
I cannot believe that seven months are gone and I haven't bought any clothes. To say this journey has been life changing would be an understatement.
 I know I say it every time, but I have become more humble than I ever thought possible. Even Chris is blown away that I have stuck to this challenge, and it has almost become fun to not shop. It is challenging to rediscover your own closet and everyone knows I love a challenge. 
Getting down to the financial aspect of this resolution has been mind-blowing. Y'all, we have saved so much money. More than we ever have before and I know a lot of the savings comes from me not shopping.
Here's the deal with girls and shopping. We don't just 'run' into the mall for one thing. We make a day of it. We go out to eat, we shop the entire mall, we hit up stores around the mall, and we buy for other people. 
I used to go to the mall for a dress and come out with Starbucks, Dippin' Dots, a candle, a couple items for Chris, make-up, a scarf, a purse, a dress, and a shirt, and a pair of shoes. As you can see just the act of going shopping is expensive!
Here are some tips on not going overboard when shopping:
- Eat before you go. You won't be tempted by all the expensive mall food. 
- If you have a shopping buddy, make sure they are honest. I have some friends who would tell me I look great in a trash bag and I know not to bring them shopping. I want honesty. Tell me if I look fat in that dress, or if it isn't my color. Having someone tell you that everything looks great on you only hurts your wallet, and you may not even be in love with the item.
- Try to buy online. Buying online is awesome for saving. Not only are you more likely to use coupons, but you also are not tempted by all the other things in the mall.
- Set a time limit, or go between activities. If you have nothing to do for the day, you have no time limit. Going shopping on your lunch break or one hour before closing is a great way to force yourself to not linger and buy tons of unnecessary items.
- Have a budget. Really analyze how much you are wanting to spend before you go.
- And my #1 rule. Carry the item around for at least 10 minutes before deciding on purchasing it. That really allows you to get over the "oh-my-gosh-I-NEED-this-so-bad" stage and clears your mind to let you realize if you really love the item.
Only five months to go! Thanks for joining me on this journey!
Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. holy cow....i can't even go one month without buying clothes. Your closet must be full of amazing things if you don't need to shop for an entire year. My closet sucks...I have to continually add things to it all the time or I'll have nothing to wear. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the tips, and so proud of you lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO proud of you!! I cannot imagine doing this and look at you - 7 months strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! I'm super impressed. Also I love your white pants/orange shirt combo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is WAY impressive. I did this for the month of July and I thought that was impressive, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i need to take all of these tips to heart! just found your blog, love all of these dresses and btw you have great hair

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing! I am a new-ish follower and didn't know you were doing this!! Good for you!! :)

    http://alishasanecdotes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously...I couldn't be more proud friend! It's the home stretch now! :) So celebrate, next year I may just have to fly out for the occasion and we can go on a MAD shopping spree! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW. This is incredible!
    So astounded by your dedication! so inspiring!

    from a newlywed/newlyhomeowner <3

    www.teasetossedandtangled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How you are doing one year of no shopping is beyond me. You're so inspiring friend!! Seriously, so great.

    www.amandamarieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are so beautiful my friend! I love your outfits, and I am sooooo proud of you for doing this challenge. I want to be with you when you can start to shop again!

    xxS

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a cool post! I think I'm one of those weird women who have a hard time going shopping for themselves. I love shopping, but I tend to only buy what I have in mind, not make a day out of it, get in and out if I don't find anything I totally fell in love with, et cetera. I love shopping but I hate spending money. I guess that's it -- I'm money conscious.

    Good job sticking to your goal! :)

    xo,
    Ana Paula
    {Visit me at Mommyhood, PhD}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Golly, you are adorable! I've wanted to try a similar no shopping resolution!! Congrats on going for so long!!! :)

    ReplyDelete