What do I blog?

Thursday, May 30, 2013

After taking a break the past couple weeks to focus on work I thought a lot about blogging.

Why do I blog?

I blog because I love the interaction with the nicest people ever. Some of the people I have met in person are turning out to be life long friends. It is truly an amazing thing how this little slice of cyber-space has led me to the most amazing people. 

I blog to keep our family updated on our life. I got a Facebook message a while back from my SIL. She said, "Tax season is annoying me...you don't post as many bloggies and then I feel disconnected from you!!" Point proven. My Dad called me the other day and told me it was my fault he didn't go to bed until one in the morning because he was hooked on reading my posts. That made me smile so big. 

I blog because it is fun. It is my space and I can do with it as I please. That leads me into another topic.

Why I am hesitant about somethings...

I am always so honored to be asked to swap buttons or sponsor someone. That is what blogging is all about, right? Well, let me say something loud and clear: if you ever, ever want to to promote something for you, give you a shout out, or help you grow your blog in any way I would love to. With that being said, I am just not at a point in my life where I want to turn this blog into something I have to do. I don't want to have to post, have to do give-aways, have to host WIWW, have to do a sponsor post, have to have to have to. I just want to do it if I want to.

When I started getting more page views (I use page views because followers isn't an accurate gauge on your traffic) I was forcing myself to post left and right. It was my priority. I was staying up until ungodly hours to ensure I had a post out the next day. I loved knowing people were reading what I wrote. Who doesn't love that feeling? Then I started realizing my priorities were all sorts of turned around. 

Do I love blogging, getting sent free glasses and clothes to review, meeting people, and sharing my life? Yes, absolutely. But I never, ever want this little piece of internet to feel like a full time job. I have a husband and two furbabies that are my priority. 

This post is in no way saying I am taking a break from blogging. It is more as a vent for me to let new bloggers, old bloggers, people who want to blog know to never get your priorities out of line.

One day blogging will be a thing of the past, much like records or beanie babies. When that day comes, I will be so thankful I have this piece of my life documented. 
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Well said my friend! I have rarely ever blogged everyday either and get tired of blogs who post something just to fill space. I try to blog 3-4 times a week and don't when there's nothing blog-worthy! Mine is more a journal of my life with an occasional give-away (just because I love my readers so much!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same exact way Sarah -- and I actually wrote a little but about it on my blog today. For me, I want blogging to stay fun, and I want to live in the present moment and really enjoy life -- so if blogging takes a backseat sometimes, it's fine by me. At the end of the day I want to live a full and authentic life, and when you do that, I'm pretty sure it will show through on the blog! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very hesitant about sponsorships etc as well. I blog for myself and if people want to read, great, I love readers. I too, am waiting for the day when blogging and facebook is a thing of the past. We'll see what happens if/when that happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said! These are my thoughts exactly. I recently took a little break from blogging to reevaluate what I wanted my blog to be, and this is pretty much what I came up with. So glad to read it put so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post.
    Thanks for sharing!!!! I am super hesitant as well. Happy to hear we are on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you friend. This needed to be read. I feel pressured sometimes as well to have a blog post out before tomorrow morning..I think that if I don't then I lose traffic and but this isn't a job and some will choose to read my blog and some won't and that is ok...but then I realized that hanging out with the hubs and playing with the fur babies are moments to be cherished. When it's enjoyable, it's worth it, so I need to keep it that way and not stress out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! I blog to try and connect with other people, not to try and get 1000+ followers. If they like me, they'll continue to read. I was a little sad when you were in tax season too. Keeping priorties straight in important, I never want to say no to playing with my son just because I have to post something. I have so many posts just waiting to be organized because the weekends go by so fast and during the week it's full of work. Why can't I just be rich and live pool side? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this Sarah! I was scared to death to start up sponsorships with my blog and to be honest I've been just letting people have them if they want to have some different traffic. I feel like it wouldn't be fun to blog anymore if it was a job. Some get so caught up in filling space on the web that their content or family or whatever they originally started blogging about gets lost. This post rocks.

    Love keeping up with your sweet life.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree. I catch myself feeling guilty or anxious on days whenever I do not post and I need to just chill out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha Beanie Babies! It's so true though. I've been blogging for 5 1/2 years. There have been good and bad times. I've met great people and had not so great experiences with bloggers. But all in all what really makes me happy is blogging when I want to, not feel forced to.

    ReplyDelete