Pregnancy || The Day We Found Out

Friday, October 2, 2015

Warning: this post contains period talk (Dad!) and girl stuff. Read at your own risk.

March of 2015 was my last month on birth control, but Chris and I had no intention of trying until the summer.

I had been on bc (short for birth control, Dad) for ten years, so I wasn't sure how my body would respond. I got on the pill at 15 because I was alswaysssss tired and my cramps were nearly unbearable. Fast forward to my first period off of bc and wowza....all those symptoms I hadn't experienced for a decade were back in full force. Holy ouch, cramps!

I also didn't realize that pregnancy symptoms and coming off bc symptoms were basically the same. I was nauseous, could smell like a dog, and so tired. So by April I was freaking out that I could be pregnant because all those symptoms were happening, and in full force. 

Not pregnant, just hormonially adjusting.

April and May went by and we avoided that week like the plague. Being a teacher, I feel like pregnancy can be strategic. There are certain times of the year that are better than others to have a baby, and although we knew it was not our plan (hello, God!), we knew what steps needed to be taken to make a baby, so we just didn't participate in those activities during certain times :) 

Moving on. June rolls around and we decide this will be our first month trying. Ambitious we were! According to my app (because isn't that how babies are made these days?) I was ovulating on a certain day and the week leading up to that was my fertile week. As I explained all this to Chris, all he kept saying was, "How does your phone know when you're ovulating. It doesn't know!" Whatevs, Baby Daddy. But, in all reality, you never truly know when, so we decided to just do it a lot. Anddd by the time my phone indicated I was ovulating we didn't want to even think about the act of doing it. #overit. We had already left the whole thing up to God, so we knew if it was meant to be then it would happen.

Well, June's time of the month rolls around and hellooo Aunt Flo. Not pregnant. Not upset. After-all, this was our first month trying. And try we did, just not at the right time, apparently. We jumped the ovulating gun, if you will.

Life gets busy, I get bored, I decide to start traveling around to see my family, Chris gets promoted and works a little more than normal, and the summer heat cranks up. 

I went to a concert with my brother, my family was in town for five days, and then I went down to my family's house for three days. So, during July's magic week, Chris and I were never alone and weren't together that often. 

Without going into detail, we did the deed once, not even thinking about making a baby. After I checked my app (#technology) and realized we missed the boat again. I tell Chris that we are never going to have a baby because you have to do one thing to make a baby and, because of traveling and our schedules, that one thing was veryyyyy rare during the month of July. 

The beginning of August comes and I am preparing for every girl's favorite week of the month. I was at a teacher training all week, so I prepared with tampons and wore black. I've always been one to be prepared :)

Cramps, bloating, badddd cramps, more bloating. I was so convinced I was going to start my period one night, in the middle of the night, that I got up and put in a tampon just to be sure. 

Next morning, nothing. One day late, nothing. Two days late, nothing. Weird.

I was at the grocery store after training on August 4th and thought I might as well pick up some pregnancy tests just to be sure. I figured I wouldn't pee on the stick for at least one more day, just to be sure.

I get home and can't help but think, "What the heck, just find out now and save yourself the wondering."

I pee on it, set it down, flush, close the toilet to sit on the lid, reach down to pick it up and....

WHAT THE HECK?! 

Two bold, pink lines right there in the little window. Pregnant. All I could think was whaaaaaaat?!?!

I instantly texted my cousin, "CALL ME," with a picture of the test. No response for what seemed like eternity, so I decide to call Desirae. I needed to talk to someone I knew would answer and could FaceTime and I knew she'd be able to. (My cousin called four hours later and was freaking out!)

We FaceTime and she can tell something is up. I show her the test, we scream, I tell her my idea to tell Chris, we are giddy again, then we hangup and I figure out a way to tell Chris he is going to be a Daddy.

A day that he, nor I, will ever forget. 





Never in a million years did Chris or I know when it would happen for us. We prayed for it to be on God's time and we were both not stressed about it. At the end of the day, we both knew we would be parents one way or another (adoption, fertility treatments, etc.), so there was never a worry of if we would be parents, just the question of when. The advice we received consistently was to not stress about it, so we didn't. We are feeling so blessed and will continue to pray for others who may be trying or struggling to start a family. As much as we took part in the "making" of a baby, we know that God is always in charge and we give Him alllllll the credit.

I am so happy to be sharing this journey with y'all and look forward to bringing a Little Tucker into the world!

14 comments:

  1. How exciting!!! Congratulations to you two!! Your story sounds so much like ours. It took us a little longer-6 months- so not long but we were so busy also…I kept saying a certain thing needs to happen on certain days and we are never together! but with God's timing it happened the one month we did not expect it to and landed us right in my husbands busiest time of the year but we wouldn't have it any other way!! We are now 33 weeks pregnant and I must say--even though i was extremely sick week 6-13- it has been the most awesome thing ever. I have loved being pregnant (and I never thought I would be that person) and I hope you do to as well! Just keep a positive attitude and enjoy it and you will be amazed at what your body can do over these next months. Can't wait to hear what baby Tucker is and take it all in because it will fly by-I promise! Gods blessings to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know when it's going to happen! It really just takes once haha! I got pregnant (without trying) two months after a doctor told me the results of a (totally unrelated) test showed her I wouldn't be able to have children naturally..so there's that. God's plans are way above us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww friend! So happy for you guys! You have the cutest reaction face in those photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So crazy how life works like that. So is there another post about how you told Chris?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its very interesting how life works its magic when you least expect it. Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet post!!! CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't even tell you how excited I am for you and this journey!
    Soak it all up, friend.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited for you and Chris! Thanks for sharing your story with us all :-]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog and have to leave some love! First, congratulations! Your story sounds oddly familiar to mine, although I'm not pregnant yet. I stopped taking bc in May, after taking it for about 10 years too. We're not "trying" but we're not preventing either. According to your timeline, maybe October will be the month ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very good post. Just wonderful. Truly, I am amazed at what informative things you've told us today Pregnancy Week by Week

    ReplyDelete