5 Reasons To Get A Dog Before You Have a Baby

Tuesday, March 3, 2015


Chris had Bailey before we started dating, which led me to believe he was somewhat responsible. I mean, a guy who can keep a dog alive is worth something, right?

Then, about a month after we started dating, we adopted Wrigley. Wrigley either stayed at my house, or Chris's, but mostly at mine because I was terrified Chris wouldn't wake up to let him out. As much as I hate to admit it, Chris was a rock star doggy dad. He cleaned up the accidents, fed and watered both dogs, and together we were able to shape Wrigley (and Bailey!) into the little goober that he is today.

I know, I know, a baby is nothing like a dog, but having a dog does teach you responsibility and Chris and I were able to get through those puppy years together.

Here are 5 reasons why you should have a dog before you have a baby:

1. Responsibility. Chris and I share the doggy duties. He feeds and waters them in the mornings and I do it at night. I brush them and make their grooming appointments and he picks up the poo in the yard. Teamwork.

2. Waste removal. Babies are going to poo and pee in the worst places, and so do dogs. Just a couple months ago Chris thought it would be a good idea to feed the dogs eggs. Well, I don't think he thought that was such a good idea as he was cleaning up their vomit. Dogs help you get over the fear of bodily fluids.

3. Altering the budget. Dogs cost money. They need food and toys and medicine. Their annual checkups are not cheap and if there is ever an emergency, you might as well offer up your right leg. Just like with kids, you may think you don't have enough money to make it work, but you do just that: make it work.

4. Being okay with living in a semi-messy house. When you have kids, you can usually bet that your house will never be as clean as it once was. Same with dogs. Just when you think you've rid the entire house of dog hair, your dog sneezes and you can see the thousands of hairs fall off of them.

5. You learn to love something more than yourself. Now, I have yet to birth a human child, but I can tell you that I would do just about anything for Wrigley and Bailey. I can't stand seeing them hurt or sick and my heart bursts with happiness when they're happy.

So there you have it. My five reasons why everyone should run out and get a dog before you run out there and get pregnant!

13 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! Having Rimy before Harper came along definitely got us somewhat prepared for parenthood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more as well. I've always had cats and just got my first dog (a Lab) in May. I knew a puppy would be more difficult to care for then a cat, but it was definitely a shock. It was a good step up responsibility wise from a cat, and made me realize I'm not ready to have kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Cost is one of the reasons we are holding off getting a second (well that and Floyd's sassy attitude) but I want to make sure a second won't be a burden for us with double vet visits, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! I think us dog people have to stick together on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think when you have a baby that you should keep up with #1, you make the doctors appointments, get them dressed, he deals with dirty diapers, hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the most perfect list ever and I agree with #1-#5 150%!! We talk about another dog, but then we also have that "how can we love another as much as we love her" feelings LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I totally agree - which is why we don't have a dog because Keith didn't grow up with one and I think he would just let it be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh. This is so true. I really do believe that having a dog is like having a baby although (to all those momma's out there) I know that I can't just leave my baby at home or locked in a room. haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. TOTALLY agree. Although you'll (hopefully someday soon!!!) see that a dog is WAYYYYYY less work than a baby, it does prepare you for the basics of having a child. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so true! Getting a dog is good for prospective parents to test their sense of responsibility and selflessness. Being able to take care of a dog very well would be a good basis if a person is ready for parenthood or not. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Sarah!

    Elvira Mullins @ Anne Nelson Vets

    ReplyDelete