We Should All Be More Like Kids

Thursday, April 9, 2015


  

It's not often that a great blog post topic dawns on me. Usually I scour a million websites before deciding if I'm even going to blog that day or not. Hardly ever do I sit down right away and crank out a post.

This morning, the rare happened. We were listening to the morning announcements and one of my girls asked me to help her with a zipper that was stuck. As I helped her I looked at what she had on. Aztec leggings. An Old Navy dress that she was wearing as a top. And Jordans.

Right in the moment I thought, "We should all be more like kids."


As I looked around my classroom I saw outfit after outfit, hairstyle after hairstyle, accessory after accessory that was so unique to that child. Without a care in the world, my kids were rockin' whatever they were wearing. Whether it be giant, black rimmed, fake glasses, or shorts with leggings under them, they were as happy as could be and not a sole in my room even thought twice about their spunky choices.

All I could think about was how humble the adult world would be if we all just thought like a kid. It takes me about 30 minutes to get ready for work. Usually my hair is in a ponytail and I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Even though I dress casual, I still aim for my outfit to match. If I were more like my kids I'd throw on whatever was most comfortable, regardless if it matched or not, and I'd head out the door. Granted, I need to look somewhat put together because I do want to keep my job, but in life, I just wish I was more like my kids: fearless of judgement and more free spirited.

In the world of blogging (and life!) everyone wants what they can't have, and that creates jealousy. I'm as guilty as can be, but in my job I am humbled everyday knowing what some of my kids go through just to have clothes on their back. They wear their worn sneakers and mismatched clothes proud and it makes me smile knowing they are so unique. Their giggles are still so young and being called their "teacher-mom" makes my heart swell more than I can comprehend.


I pray they look back at their awkward fifth grade years and think, "I rocked!" because they do. Each and every kid I've come across has such a free spirit. They have yet to be plagued with the life of a job and paying bills. They don't worry about watching the news or making sure their lawn is mowed. My girls still eat like champs without the worry of bodily image and my boys still get a thrill when I show them videos of crazy animals or big trucks.

At the end of the day I realize that these babies are teaching me just as much as I am teaching them. Come to my class and my kiddos will serve you up one giant slice of humble pie.

8 comments:

  1. Great Post! Every word rings true! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love this post!! Kids amaze me everyday, and I strive to be more like my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heart is SO FULL with this post. What a beautiful reminder! The children are our future & I would TOTALLY vote for the chick rockin' the Jordan's, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, a good topic indeed. And you are totally right! Those outfits rock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen. So often I'm reminded that not only do I teach my 20 third graders, they teach me. & sometimes I feel that I learn more from them than they do from me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know they'll also definitely look back on their 5th grade year and think, "my teacher rocked!" :)

    ReplyDelete