Trying to stay positive

Tuesday, April 28, 2015


This time of year all teachers are at our whits end. The days are long and the kids basically consider themselves done with their current grade, especially fifth graders. You might as well have handed them the keys to a car and kissed them away to college.

Throughout the day I find myself being a little too impatient and I have to remind myself, "they are just kids..." It is tough. I'd be lying if I said there haven't been days where I have personally apologized to a student because I felt like I was too hard on them.

All I want them to do is love me as a teacher and love their last year in elementary. Everyday I am trying to make the choice to be positive. My principal reminded us to not count the days until summer but, instead, count the days left to change these kids lives.

Yes, I've been counting down the days until summer. What teacher hasn't. Yesterday was rough and it made me want these next couple weeks to fly by, but I am trying to make the most of the short time I have left with my cherubs.

I was driving Chris's (new) truck yesterday and I didn't pull it far enough in the garage and when I let the garage door down it put a gash in the bumper. I almost started to cry then I thought, it is just a truck. No one died, no one got hurt, and we are blessed to even have a truck, but I felt terrible. I called Chris and he just started laughing and saying, "Honey, this just proves why we can't get you a new car quite yet." Hardy-har-har to the guy who backed into a tree at my parent's house a couple months after owning said truck. And should I even mention the truck has sensors and a backup camera? 

Anyways, I guess what I am trying to say is that I am challenging myself to think positively in all aspects of life. Don't want to go to the gym? Be thankful you are healthy enough to workout. Tired of your job? Be thankful you have one. Scratch you husband's new truck? Trade it in a buy yourself a car while he is out of town :) Just kidding...sort of!

Happy Tuesday!

13 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I needed this. Just this morning I was talking to another friend about how these days I feel like I'm slacking and just don't care. Yesterday I spent more time sitting down waiting on the kids to get quiet than I did actually standing up and teaching. Days like that I wonder what I'm still doing here? But then I have that one kid that comes and gives me a hug at the end of the day telling me I'm the best teacher ever and I completely forget about the day I had. Some days being a teacher is hard. It means being a parent, mentor, friend, confidant, and so many other things as well. It's emotionally and mentally draining. But oh how worth it it is. Thanks for the reminder that instead of counting down the days with these guys, I should be looking forward to the time we have left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the truck! But your new view is perfect, although very challanging, but it does make the worlds difference! I find thinking positve during the struggle with infertility really helps me get through each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my best friends is a third grade teacher and she's luckily out on maternity leave currently, but every year she goes through the same thing with her students. I can only imagine how frazzled and exhausted you have to be by the end of the day, but you're almost done with the school year. Hang in there for a little while longer and you'll have a nice break soon!

    XO, Jaime
    RegallySoled.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie :) I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Yay!

      Delete
  4. OH gosh, I have been feeling like this lately, although I'm not a teacher. My patience have been thin with my kids. I need to remind myself, they are not going to be this age forever and that I need to cherish the age that they are now...Thanks for the reminder! Oh and the whole truck thing, I have been there, far too many times with my own truck - So sad when I had to trade it in when I got pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there sweet girl....I know from the way my kids are this time of year it cannot be easy in the classroom. Having a positive attitude is the right choice but often not the easiest choice....this morning as I looked at all the crap my husband leaves out on the counter every morning I took a deep breath and reminded myself how alone it would feel to have everything perfectly in its place but not a soul around to enjoy it with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, my feelings are the same way right now. We have 18 days and boy they can't go fast enough. Aye ye ye!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww my friend... unfortunately..these days happen, but it's how we react to them that matter...Summer is almost here for ya! And Aaron has the same mantra about me getting a new car right now too ;) Are they trying to insinuate we are bad drivers?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so needed this today. Having some stress at school and I just want to be done. Thank you, dear!

    Becky
    @bybmg

    ReplyDelete
  9. This doesn't just happen to teachers, believe me, as a parent we all have those days as well. Such a bittersweet time of the year, this year especially for us since I have a fifth grader AND an eighth grader who'll be starting high school in the fall. I want/need summer desperately, but at the same time I want to enjoy this last few weeks. Hang in there, we are almost done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your positive vibes!! Seriously... seeing the good in a situation, rather than all the bad makes life enjoyable and livable. Chin up always!!

    xox!


    Amber
    All the Cute

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all have those days (or weeks...) but don't let it get you down-- summer will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like i'm in the same boat as you. I've been so impatient lately and it's not fair to others at all. I'm also trying to stay positive! It's so easly to forget how fortunate we are so we need to keep reminding ourselves! Off to the gym I go! Just kidding lol

    ReplyDelete