Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Whole 30 Confessions: Week 2


Let's hop on the fun train and hear me whine about something that is self induced, shall we?

Now, if you were around last time, you know I was brutally honest about how much I was hating Whole 30. I held nothing back and was pretty miserable, yet I felt great. That is what prompted me to do this crazy thing all over again.

This go around I am doing about 85% Whole 30 and the other 15% is a combination of Paleo, or just straight up not good for you foods.

Being a rule breaker (ha!), this time I am allowing myself creamer in my coffee. I teach and if you've ever been around 21 kids at 7:30am, then you feel my pain. Coffee is a necessity and I have come a long way from my cream and sugar days. Just a little cream does the trick.

I am also eating Greek Yogurt. This is my favorite and it curbs my sweet tooth.

Friday night Chris and I had a date night to our favorite burger place. I had a burger and fries and my stomach hurt after. I won't be doing that again.

Last Saturday night we went to a gender reveal party. Everyone got a cake-pop and one cake-pop was the color of the gender, so if I didn't eat my cake-pop, then I could have ruined the surprise! Mine ended up being vanilla, but I ate every last bit. I did skip out on the pizza!

I went to brunch on Sunday and had eggs, bacon, and potatoes with ketchup. I tried the whole make your own Whole 30 ketchup thing and it was freaking nasty. Not doing that again. A little ketchup every now and then isn't hurting me. I am also not skipping out on meeting up with my friends just because the restaurant is not Whole 30 approved. I didn't check on the eggs, potatoes, or bacon....I just gobbled them up!

Monday I went to brunch, again, with another friend and I had chicken salad and fruit. I am getting tired of eggs :) The chicken salas obviously had some mayo in it, but I tried Whole 30 mayo and it was just as terrible as the ketchup. Nas-tayyy! There were a lot worse items I could have chose on the menu.

So, as you can see, I haven't been perfect, but I have seen major changes in my body, and the way I feel. For all the other meals that I didn't mention, I've been doing Whole 30. My snacks throughout the day are strawberries, carrots, plantain chips, almonds, etc., so all Whole 30 approved items.

This second time around is much more manageable and I am enjoying the process a lot. Every night I make a Whole 30 approved meal and Chris eats whatever I cook. He usually adds in some sort of noodle or other carb, but I skip out on that. I have been getting enough protein and calories to be able to go to the gym every morning, which is another reason why I think I am seeing changes in my body happen a lot quicker this go around. Last time I had to stop going to the gym because I was constantly so hungry.

Overall, I would say I am using Whole 30 as a guide. It truly helps my acid reflux and bloating. I feel better when I don't fill my body with junk. And, I've come to realize that having things that are not Whole 30 (oats, peanut butter, yogurt) are still not bad things. My choices could be a lot worse, so I am proud that this is becoming more of a lifestyle change and less like a 30 day challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! Modify it, and in the end it's all about how you feel, using the Whole 30 as a guideline is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I have been doing what I call paleo-ish for roughly 2 years now. I have my ups and downs with it. I have considered on several occasions doing a whole 30, but always chicken out lol. I drink a coffee every morning and instead of sugar and creamer I use a little stevia and coconut milk. I barely notice a difference from regular sugar and creamer. It could be because it is no difference, or it could be because I've trained myself to believe there's no difference :) Either way I'm okay with it now. What kind of recipes have you been making? Always looking for something to shake up the meal plan that other people have tried and like. I have been crashing and burning lately trying new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I have been doing what I call paleo-ish for roughly 2 years now. I have my ups and downs with it. I have considered on several occasions doing a whole 30, but always chicken out lol. I drink a coffee every morning and instead of sugar and creamer I use a little stevia and coconut milk. I barely notice a difference from regular sugar and creamer. It could be because it is no difference, or it could be because I've trained myself to believe there's no difference :) Either way I'm okay with it now. What kind of recipes have you been making? Always looking for something to shake up the meal plan that other people have tried and like. I have been crashing and burning lately trying new recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover