Then, about a month after we started dating, we adopted Wrigley. Wrigley either stayed at my house, or Chris's, but mostly at mine because I was terrified Chris wouldn't wake up to let him out. As much as I hate to admit it, Chris was a rock star doggy dad. He cleaned up the accidents, fed and watered both dogs, and together we were able to shape Wrigley (and Bailey!) into the little goober that he is today.
I know, I know, a baby is nothing like a dog, but having a dog does teach you responsibility and Chris and I were able to get through those puppy years together.
Here are 5 reasons why you should have a dog before you have a baby:
1. Responsibility. Chris and I share the doggy duties. He feeds and waters them in the mornings and I do it at night. I brush them and make their grooming appointments and he picks up the poo in the yard. Teamwork.
2. Waste removal. Babies are going to poo and pee in the worst places, and so do dogs. Just a couple months ago Chris thought it would be a good idea to feed the dogs eggs. Well, I don't think he thought that was such a good idea as he was cleaning up their vomit. Dogs help you get over the fear of bodily fluids.
3. Altering the budget. Dogs cost money. They need food and toys and medicine. Their annual checkups are not cheap and if there is ever an emergency, you might as well offer up your right leg. Just like with kids, you may think you don't have enough money to make it work, but you do just that: make it work.
4. Being okay with living in a semi-messy house. When you have kids, you can usually bet that your house will never be as clean as it once was. Same with dogs. Just when you think you've rid the entire house of dog hair, your dog sneezes and you can see the thousands of hairs fall off of them.
5. You learn to love something more than yourself. Now, I have yet to birth a human child, but I can tell you that I would do just about anything for Wrigley and Bailey. I can't stand seeing them hurt or sick and my heart bursts with happiness when they're happy.
So there you have it. My five reasons why everyone should run out and get a dog before you run out there and get pregnant!