Monday, July 16, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Casa de Tucker

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! It was 48 blissful hours of no work and only play "spend-time-with-the-husband and do-work-around-the-house" time!

To get this party post started I should let you know that Chris and I bought our very first house on April 20, 2012! Woo hoo! Don't worry...there was no stress involved...NOT! Between us being in separate cities (that will be included in another post), planning a wedding, me dealing with tax season and graduate classes, and Chris graduating college and studying for his FE exam, let's just say there were some minor major meltdowns.

Through the meltdowns came joy! Our home is brand spanking new, built in an up and coming neighborhood. Lots of kids, newlyweds, and puppies, so we thought we would fit right in. I longed to buy a "fixer-upper," but Chris and I just don't have the time or money for that right now. Instead, we bought the complete opposite; granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, and all the bells and whistles a newly married couple could ask for. All we have to do is...decorate! Yay for me! Boo for Chris! He hates painting and making choices about decor because he can't envision what I can. Pinterest has been our best friend. I will tell Chris that I want to do something to a room and he responds with, "show me on Pinterest..." and once I find the perfect picture, he is sold!

Did I mention how blessed, thankful, and gracious we are to have even the financial means to purchase our first home at this point in our lives?! I have only been in the "real world" for about a year and Chris has been in the "real world" a whopping two months! We are BEYOND thankful!

Kitchen decor.
 
This beauthy has its own corner in our kitchen. 
  
Beautiful wedding gift. Make-shift candy jar.

Canisters from Wal Mart.
We never in a million years thought we would be able to purchase a house, but with some heavy research and many long talks with our parents, we decided that paying someone else's mortgage (renting) was not what we had in mind. Within two months of the house search we were signing papers on our very first home.

Then began the fun stuff! I might or might not be...okay I am...totally obsessed with HGTV! Who else can back me up on this?! I really miss Trading Spaces, that was my favorite. Anyways, I love to decorate so the thought of decorating my first home makes me giddy and excited!

Slowly, Chris and I have been making changes, but when you work all week and have things come up on the weekends, you find little time to make changes to your home. So far we have:
  • Painted a dresser for our TV to sit on. I am planning on converting the dresser into an official TV stand...something similar to this.
  • Painted two end tables to cover the blond oak finish. I am not happy with them, but they work for now.
  • Painted our bedroom in this color. It is Valspar, Mountain Smoke. We love it.
  • We bought new bedding exactly like this. We are using yellow as an accent color.
  • We have bought fabric for curtains in the living and dining room. We bought this for our dining room and this for the living room. I picked the first one and Chris picked the second. We obviously have differing style opinions. Ha! Now I have to figure out how to make them flow together!
We have a to-do list a trillion miles long, but who has time to work on it when you work all week?! I know it is going to be a slow process, but I am so excited/anxious to see our house become a home!
Living room fabric. Yum.
Where the magic sleeping happens.
  • The lamp on the left is from Crate & Barrel. It is the Zing Table Lamp. I believe is no longer available. The lamp on the right is a flea market find from my Mom and the lamp shade is from Target. I painted it yellow.
  • The yellow pillows are from Target.
  • The 6.16.12 pillow is sewn by a friend. We got it as a wedding gift and we love it!
  • All the bedding shown is from Bed Bath and Beyond. We registered for it for our wedding.
  • You can slightly see the side tables that I painted white. Not in love with them.

What are your current projects? What suggestions do you have for Chris and I?!

2 comments:

  1. OH my goodness! I love your bedroom colors; gray and yellow are my favorite combo right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a major blog stalk, so sorry for commenting on posts from years gone by!
    Your house looks absolutely stunning (I'm guessing this is the one you just sold)- I can only dream of owning something so gorgeous one day!xo

    ReplyDelete